ABOUT THE OWNERS
- Frank & Rae moved back to Canada in Nov 2006 after 21 years working in the UK and chose the Comox Valley as their
new home. To quote them "its the best decision we ever made great people and a beautiful area to live in".
- Their 5 acres in
Merville is always in the throes of one project or another, with landscaping and ditching the first areas tackled. Just one more
veggie bed, fruit bed, greenhouse, pond or lake, chicken run, pig run, outbuilding etc etc … Oh yeah and there are all these
ROCKS!! to contend with up here on the Merville ridge.
- Over the last 5 years they have planted a small vineyard(275 Vines), a 65 top
fruit orchard, extensive veggie beds (4000 sq ft), soft fruit beds, a 9 tree nuttery, two large ponds, 3000 ft of covered rock filled
ditches, large greenhouse, and various sheds/structures etc etc.
- We don't do mission, method or ethos statements.
We keep it simple, offer advice willingly and provide a flexible competitive service.
- We offer an old fashioned warm friendly customer
experience with a smile. We are almost entirely reliant on "WORD OF MOUTH" to grow our business.
- We currently operate with a 1000Kg/ Hr
Grinder, 160, 80 and 40 Lt Water powered bladder presses, served by a environmentally pumped recirculatory water system.
- In addition
to our juice operations for the 2014 season we will have picked same day fresh produce and homemade preserves to sell. We compost
all the pressed fruit pommace from our juice operations and do not spray anything whatsoever.
OUR APPLE ORCHARD consists of:-
- 25 Heritage Cider inc Kingston Black, Dabinette, Porters Perfection, Trembletts Bitter, Sweet Copin, Ashton Brown Jersey and Harry
- 17 Dessert inc Orleans Reinette, Ashmeads Kernel, Liberty, Spartan, Egremont Russet, Granny Smith, Ribston Pippin,
Breaburn, Cox's Orange Pippin. St Edmunds Pippin, Sturmer Pippin, Sunset, Tydemans Late Orange, Yellow Newton, Wagerner, Northern
Spy, Kids Orange Red, King of Tompkins County and Ashmeads Kernel.
- 5 Dual Purpose inc Gravenstein, Blenheim Orange and James Grieve.
- 2 Culinary : Bramley's Seedling.
- Our desire is to specialize in local Ciders & Perries; accordingly we are actively
investigating starting a Cider & Perry "U-Brew" service for 2014. This service would only be for customers whose fruit is pressed
at Scrumpy's. We would not sell wine or cider kits etc.
Spring in the greenhouse
Apple Press & Cider House
Owners Rae & Frank Brett